Below you’ll find the HCS policies for auditions, as well as for preregistration and attendance. We usually have openings for women singers, and always for men.
The next auditions will be held in January of 2019, just before our spring semester begins.
Our rehearsals are both fun and productive, and we always begin and end punctually. New members will find the Hampshire Choral Society to be a warm and welcoming family.
If you have previous singing experience, you can match pitch (i.e. carry a tune), and you are willing to make the commitment to the entire season, you are probably a good fit with our group and we urge you to contact us. In many cases we are able to waive the audition entirely, depending on your experience. In other cases we will arrange a date and time for you to meet with the director so he can hear you sing. As intimidating as this probably sounds we assure you that the process is as painless and as user-friendly as we can make it.
For further information about auditions, or to schedule an audition, please write to:
Preregistration policies for existing members.
1. Preregistration is now required for each semester. Please register ONLY if you’re certain you can make the commitment to attend rehearsals and the concert.
2. If a singer needs to withdraw from attending rehearsals or singing in a concert, that person should notify us promptly.
3. We are limited to a chorus of roughly 120 for concerts at Abbey Chapel (Mt. Holyoke College), and 160 for the Fine Arts Center (UMass), due to the available space on stage. The overall cap may further broken down into sections at the Director’s discretion, for purposes of balance. In rare cases we will put singers on a waiting list, but usually we can accommodate everyone.
4. Absences are limited to two for the fall semester and three for the spring semester, after which singers must speak with the Director directly about remaining in the group. We take this policy Very Seriously.
5. All singers are expected to participate in the concert, except by prior arrangement.
6. Attendance at the rehearsals held during the last week before the concert are mandatory.
7. Dues and music fees will vary each semester, depending on the size of the orchestra and the cost of scores. The music fees typically range from $10 to $20. Dues will range from $85 to $100 per semester.